WABI SABI MOMENTS

Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes we can...and we DID!!!

I can't find the words to express how incredible this day has been, but I'm gonna try since I have 30 minutes to get this post in before midnight..;-P

No, you know what? I still can't find the words. I've erased everything I've typed for the past 15 minutes. It's still sinking in...and it will continue to in the days ahead.

We listened to coverage of the election on NPR.org and the BBC, while a friend of mine kept feeding me live updates from Katie Couric and I frantically watched maps and liveblogging on several sites. It was a busy day here for a few hours. The votes came in much faster than I thought they would...and then the polls officially closed on the West Coast and the networks officially called the election as a win for Obama and the airwaves erupted with cheering from all across the nation, and the world!

McCain gave a very gracious concession speech. It reminded me of the McCain I came to love in 2000, the man who I thought I'd vote for if given the chance...a stark contrast to the man we saw during the course of this campaign. I remember how much it hurt to listen to Kerry's concession speech in 2004, so I can imagine what McCain's supporters are feeling tonight. I applaud him for stopping the booing from the crowd when he mentioned Obama's name. I know his supporters are feeling defeated tonight, and I'm sorry they are feeling that way...I'm not insensitive to their pain, but quite frankly I think we've earned the right to rejoice today!!

Watching Obama's speech I was struck by the difference in the crowd's response when Obama mentioned McCain..instead of booing we heard cheering. I'm glad Obama said what he did about McCain. His speech was beautiful, I sat here crying, deeply touched and unbelievably proud of our nation. I'm so glad that he will be representing our nation to the nations of the world! Can you imagine what it must have been like to be there in Grant Park tonight? I have to admit I'm rather jealous...but it's okay, because no matter where we are, Obama supporters the world over are celebrating with as much enthusiasm as those attending his speech did!

Today is Guy Fawke's Day in New Zealand (and many other countries in the Commonwealth). As is tradition, once the sun went down the fireworks started to fill the sky! We were driving to pick up a friend for dinner who had a rough job interview today, and I couldn't help remarking that even though I knew the real reason for the fireworks, it felt like all of New Zealand was celebrating with us. And let me tell you people--they are. People all over the world are celebrating with us this day! We sat and ate dinner at Denny's of all places, and I couldn't help but wonder what Denny's all across the US were looking like right about now. Packed full of exhausted supporters, faces awash in the euphoric high of realising their actions really do matter.

I imagine this will sink in more as the days go by, but right now I still feel like I'm in a bit of a daze. Part of me can't believe it actually has happened, and yet part of me knew it would happen all along. Why? Because of those of us who had the audacity to hope, dream, work, donate, vote, and believe that in the end enough people would be inspired to do those same things...and change the world.

That's right people....today, each voice, one by one brought change to our nation. Bask in it today...soak it all in...because tomorrow comes quickly and this journey is far from over!!

YES WE CAN.....YES WE DID.....YES WE WILL!!

1 comment:

DinerGirl said...

there is woo... and hoo!!!!!

If McCain had run his campaign the way he ran his "victory party", things may have been different. It was nice to see that he's still a decent man.

The big amazement for me was seeing the way the crowds reacted to the mention of the opposing party-- Republicans with boos, and Democrats with applause. Sort of tells you something, no?

This has been an amazing night. Seeing Jesse Jackson stand there with tears streaming down his cheeks was something I will *never* forget.