WABI SABI MOMENTS

Pages

Monday, November 17, 2008

Books books books...how I love them.

Read any good books lately?

I'm reading Women Who Run With the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes. Estes is a Jungian psychoanalyst who in the book tells stories from all different cultures and then gives interpretations of them and how the relate to Jungian archetypes and the different phases of our lives as women.

Considering my love for both ancient myths and Jung, I'm surprised I haven't come across the book before. A friend is reading it and ordered me to read it as well (so she'd have someone to read it with). I'm not very far into it, but I can already tell it's one of those books you read bit by bit, taking time to digest every little piece before you move on to the next bite, in order to fully take in what is being said. I LOVE books like that. Since it looks like a pretty good book and the women I know who have already read it years ago have given it rave reviews, I've decided to give it out as early Christmas presents to a few friends and my sister so I can see the different perspectives. I figure the more points of view, the better. The women in my life are quite diverse as far as ages and lifestyles, so that will make it all the better!

All my holiday gifts this year are books coming from Better World Books. I'm a huge fan of giving books as gifts and since most of my family and friends are voracious readers it works out in my favor. Better World Books sells both new and used books with free carbon neutral shipping within the US and $3.97 shipping worldwide. The sales of their books go to help fund literacy programs both in the US and worldwide, and they even run a buy-back program where they'll pay for you to ship donated books to them! Buying used books is a great form of recycling IMO, plus you get more books for your money and who can resist that??

So, if you've got gifts to give this year, check out their website. And if you're looking for something to get your brain churning, read Women Who Run With the Wolves with me!!

2 comments:

DinerGirl said...

A *classic* book! I was given the book by a friend who signed my copy with a lovely inscription, and for that reason alone, it is very dear to me. If you give it as a gift, especially to a woman, *do* write a special note in it for them, if you can. They'll treasure it always.

Tiara said...

I love being given books with personal inscriptions, it just makes them that much more special.

I was going to have the company mail the books to them directly, but I'm tempted to have them mailed to me so I can write in them and mail out. Depends on how much they'll charge me for shipping...hmmm...