WABI SABI MOMENTS

Pages

Friday, June 20, 2008

What is success to you?

Chris and I watched a movie called "School of Life" this past weekend on the recommendation of the woman in the video store. We probably would have never watched it since I normally avoid sappy movies that make me cry, but Chris went to the video store alone and so that's what we ended up watching. *snort* After watching it I have to admit I highly recommend it! It has a good message...made me a bit teary but in a good, sappy way..and made me laugh and think about the things that were most important to me to accomplish in life.

There are certain things I want to accomplish in my life, but beyond that, what it all boils down to is
much the same as this bit of prose by Bessie Anderson Stanley.

When all is said and done, what is your definition of a successful life?


Success
He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often, and loved much;
Who has enjoyed the trust of pure women, the respect of intelligent men and
the love of little children;
Who has filled his niche and accomplished his task;
Who has left the world better than he found it
Whether by an improved poppy, a perfect poem or a rescued soul;
Who has never lacked appreciation of Earth's beauty or failed to express it;
Who has always looked for the best in others and given them the best he had;
Whose life was an inspiration;
Whose memory a benediction.

--1904 Bessie Anderson Stanley

No comments: